My husband used this recipe from my friend over at Entrées Etc.
The dish was very rich. I personally enjoyed the richness, but my husband thinks next time he tries it, he’ll thin the sauce out a little bit. I eat a lot more avocados than him though, so I’m used to the texture and taste. My husband also said that next time he would spice it up (ie. literally, add some spices to it), though he did actually add all of the ‘optional’ spices at the bottom of the list already, but apparently we have burned off most of our taste buds, and need to make everything extremely spicy.
Here’s the recipe:
• 250 g dry spaghetti / pasta of choice
• 2 ripe avocados
• ½ cup fresh basil leaves / ¼ cup dry
• juice / zest from 1 lemon
• 2-6 garlic cloves (to taste)
• 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tsp salt
• freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• (optional – cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, onions, broccoli, vegan parmesan)
• (optional – a few dashes of turmeric, chili powder, red pepper flakes, mustard and cayenne pepper)
1. Prepare a medium-sized pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta, reduce heat slightly and cook until al dente, approximately 8-10 minutes.
2. In a food processor, add in all the ingredients for the sauce. Blend until smooth and creamy. Scoop this into a large bowl.
3. Transfer the cooked pasta to the bowl as well. Toss together, before adding salt and pepper to taste. Serve right away, optionally with some additional basil leaves, lemon zest, and/or chopped cherry tomatoes.